MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE VIENNA
PLANNING BOARD HELD AUGUST 28, 2019
The meeting convened at the Town House at 7:00 PM. Regular members present were Waine Whittier, Alan Williams, Creston Gaither, and Ed Lawless. Minutes of the July 24 meeting were read and accepted. Also present were Paul Fontaine and, briefly, Lew Emery.
Paul Fontaine appeared regarding his Flying Pond property depicted on tax map 11 as lot V-19-21. He would like to build a 4’ x 25’ staircase there between the road and the pond. The Board visited the site on June 26 and thus felt that no new site visit was necessary. Paul presented a sketch of the proposal and the Board briefly reviewed Section 15.B.(6) of the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance (SZO) and found that the staircase would be permissible if limited to 4 feet in width.
Based on its on-site observations and Paul’s sketch and verbal representations, and a subsequent examination of the pertinent flood hazard map, the Board determined that the project as outlined above:
- Will maintain safe and healthful conditions;
- Will not result in water pollution, erosion, or sedimentation to surface waters;
- Will adequately provide for the disposal of all wastewater;
- Will not have an adverse impact on spawning grounds, fish, aquatic life, bird or other wildlife habitat;
- Will conserve shore cover and visual, as well as actual, points of access to inland waters;
- Will protect archaeological and historic resources as designated in the comprehensive plan;
- Will avoid problems associated with floodplain development and use; and
- Is in conformance with the provisions of Section 15, Land Use Standards.
The Board then voted 4 – 0 to authorize Creston to issue the usual SZO permit by letter for this work.
The Zweigbaum situation was discussed (see July minutes). It has been reported that a recreational vehicle (RV) is in place on the gravel pad. Should it become clear at some point that the RV has been in place for more than 120 days it was agreed that the Code Enforcement Officer should be notified as per SZO requirements.
Alan suggested that the Board present an ordinance to the Town to create uniform setback requirements throughout the Town so that we don’t have different requirements in the shoreland zone and in subdivisions and elsewhere. Creston will email the Ordinance Review Committee and invite them to the Board’s September meeting to discuss this informally.
Waine will miss the next meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 7:35 PM.
Creston Gaither, secretary